Serving in the armed forces is an incredible personal sacrifice, and our veterans deserve our gratitude in any way we can give it. One way we show our thanks is through veteran’s cremations in Easton, PA. It’s important to know about the post-humus benefits that are available to veterans. Read on to learn more about cremation and funeral services benefits for eligible veterans, so you can ensure your loved one gets the thanks he or she deserves.
Military Funeral Service Protocol and Honors
The United States has laws that provide eligible veterans with military funeral and cremation service honors as no cost if the family requests. Some of these honors include:
- Flag Folding and Presentation: All eligible veterans will have at least 2 Armed Forces members serving as an honor guard during the funeral or cremation service. At least one of these guards will be from the deceased’s service branch, and this guard will present a traditionally folded American flag to the next of kin or designated person.
- “Taps”- “Taps” is a bugle song long associated with military and patriotic funerals. Though live bugle performances are rarely seen these days, military funeral honors require that a high-quality recording of the song be played at any eligible funeral or cremation services if no live bugle is available.
Another veteran’s funeral or cremation service is a flag burial. A flag is provided at no cost to the family to drape the casket or accompany the urn of the deceased. The flag will be folded and presented to eligible family members including the next of kin or requested friends. Family members may donate their flags to national cemeteries with Avenue of Flags so the flag can be flown on patriotic holidays to honor the deceased.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) can also furnish a headstone at no cost. These veteran’s headstones are available for any veteran regardless of date of death. The headstones are available in bronze, marble and granite in various styles to match existing headstones in the place of burial. This same service is available for cremated remains in the form of niche markers for columbariums. While the headstone itself is free of charge, the family is in charge of all installation fees.
Is My Loved One Eligible?
Military funeral and cremation service honors are given to members of the United States Armed Forces that consist of the Marines, Army, National Guard, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard. The individual must also meet one or more the following requirements:
- Died in active duty or Selective Reserve
- Completed at least one term of enlistment or initial obligated service in the Selective Reserve, and were not dishonorably discharged
- Served on active duty, or in the Selected Reserve, and were not dishonorably discharged
If you want to learn more about veteran cremation and funeral service honors and eligibility, contact Cremation Specialist of Pennsylvania, Inc. We are located at 728 Main St Avoca, PA 18641, and offer a range of Easton, PA cremation services. Give us a call today at (844) 427-3672 to learn more.